2012 Public Health Assessment and Improvement Plan
In 2012, Lake County Build a Generation, in partnership with the Lake County Public Health Agency and St. Vincent General Hospital, worked with a community stakeholder group to produce an assessment of the state of public health in Lake County and a five-year plan for improvement.
The key goals of the five-year plan were as follows:
1. Access to Care
- Goal #1: Increase the percent of residents who are insured by 10% over the next three years.
- Goal #2: Increase the number of available and affordable care sites in Lake County.
2. Healthy Eating and Active Living
- Goal #1: Increase programs, activities and other opportunities for residents to
- access healthy eating and active living.
- Goal #2: Increase nutritional and wellness counseling with mental health clients.
- Goal #3: Increase students’ access to healthy eating and active living.
3. Environmental Health
- Goal#1: Decrease the number of critical violations at retail food establishments by 20%. Decrease the number of non-critical violations at retail food establishments by 20%.
- Goal #2: Increase community information and resources around key environmental health issues in Lake County.
- Goal#3: Increase the number of children ages 1-3 who receive blood lead testing by 10%. Increase the number of children ages 3-6 who receive blood lead testing by 15%.
4. Sexual Health
- Goal #1: Increase the number of Lake County residents who access Lake County Public Health Family Planning services by 5%.
- Goal #2: Improve the implementation of the current sexual education curriculum at the Lake County School District.
- Goal #3: Decrease the chlamydia rate in Lake County by 5%.
- Goal #1: Provide more information to residents or tourists about hazards in Lake County and how to mitigate them.
- Goal #2: Create changes in programs or policies that will make Lake County a safer place to live or travel.
6. Pediatric Dental
- Goal #1: Increase school-based dental prevention.
- Goal #2: Increase access to, and awareness of, pediatric dental care in Lake County.
- Goal #1: Provide safe routes to school and the city core.
- Goal #2: Increase options for those who need transportation to health care
8. Mental Health and Substance Abuse
- Goal #1: Decrease substance abuse.
- Goal #2: Increase access to mental health care.
- Goal #3: Increase the percentage of West Central Mental Health clients who are
- enrolled with a primary care provider.
- Goal #4: Reduce bullying in the Lake County School District.